Friday, January 20, 2012

 

Garage project

I needed a threaded 1 1/2 inch fitting for a project and thought I had a die to cut it, but I didn't.  My pipe threading dies only go to 1 1/4 inch.  
But my lathe is able to cut the 11 1/2 threads per inch I required!
I said, "Why don't I just thread a piece of pipe instead of getting in the car and going to Menard's and buying one?"  It was very cold outside and I didn't feel like riding my bike.  Of course I am too "cheap ass" to drive my car.
The first problem was the gear ratio to cut the threads wasn't correct.  
Out came my little tool box and I was able to sort through the parts to find the correct gears.

Installation of the top gear.
And the installation of the bottom gear.  It took me the whole day (the original gears were stuck onto the shafts and I had to make a tool so I could pull them off with my gear puller.)  At the end, I realized I should have driven over to Menard's and paid the $2.00 for a plastic pipe nipple.  Oh Well, the joys of retirement. 

Comments:
why would you thread PVC?? How do you cut a pipe thread on a lathe??
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?