Saturday, May 23, 2009

 

Roto-tiller Repair

In 1979, I bought a Roto-tiller 'kit'. It was very inexpensive. It was a combination of belt and chain driven tines with a five Horse Power motor. After about three years of continuous repair of the drive train, my friend, Don Korten, gave me an old Sears Roto-tiller which needed a motor but had gear driven tines. I recycled the tines and motor from my original Roto-tiller onto the Sears frame and drive and went along happily for many years. The motor was multi duty in that when I was not using it on the Roto-tiller I would use it on the kid's go-cart. Not very pretty, as Consumer Reports would say, "Antiquated Technology on an Obsolete Chassis." I would say, Proven and Reliable."
This year I started it up and after about ten minutes it quit running, no compression. After some soul searching about repair or replace, I remembered seeing an ad in the Harbor Freight circular for a motor on sale. Off I went. The new with the old.
The new motor did not line up quite right, I had washers under the old motor, so a search of the material under the workbench I found an aluminum bar the right size, four holes, and a cut on the band saw and I had a couple of spacers.
Perfect alignment. Now some bolts.
Now I will be able to get the garden planted by Memorial Day.


Comments:
Dear Fred! We have looked through your pictures in the blog again. It was very interesting to watch the photos and to read the comments! We miss you here in Perm! Good luck to you and your family!

Translators of the project "Zoloto"
 
Fred
Did the Milwaukie's Best come
with the Greyhound? Fine job on the handles as well!
 
Why is the aspen tree growing sideways next to the garden?
 
I would say it was no longer growing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?