Saturday, October 11, 2008

 

Weekend Update

I have had a number of adventures this week. The worst thing to happen is that I lost my Internet connection. Embarq (my ISP) sent me an update to improve my service which I tried to download to my computer. I got an error when I tried to download it but didn't pay any attention. The next day when I started up my computer I could no longer get on the Internet. I called the repair line and after an hour and thirty minutes diagnosed the problem. It seems that Embarq is upgrading its customers to a better system and replacing all the modems, I upgraded without the correct modem. the service guy is sending me one. He talked me through a System Restore to get my old settings back and I am now back on line. What an adventure.



A couple of weeks ago I went to Patti's house for a picnic and as we were sitting on her deck the wind caught the umbrella and broke it. I volunteered to fix it. Nice little lathe project. Broken pieces cut out of rod.
Turning a new coupling.
Making a cut with the lathe.
New piece ready for the install.
Another view of turning the adaptor. The umbrella back in service.
Close up of the repair.

Comments:
A good lathe project. I bet Patti is appreciative!
We, too, lost our internet connection after the 'big wind' on 9-14. A repair man outfitted us with a new wireless device; I wish I could report that all is well.:-)
 
Thanks again Fred - You're the Best!
Patti :)
 
Fred,

Did you know that Embarq Reach Out is available to help you with your issues? If you are ever having trouble send me an email at: Embarq_Joey@embarq.com.

Have a good day!
 
that was a nice lathe project.....speaking of lathe projects, I have these styrofoam blocks about 14" x 48" and free. I need to put a couple of holes thru the length of these blocks to accept some kitec pipe for the Heatmor. Any suggestions?

walter
 
Is a 45 caliber big enough??
 
actually it's 1" kitec. It has about the same diameter of a 1" iron pipe. I like the .45 idea, but I'm not sure it would work.
 
Hello Walter,
When are you going to visit? I will make you a rod on my lathe that is 50 inches long with a 1.250 inch spade bit mounted in one end. You can put this in you hand drill and drill a hole thru the blocks. See the long reach tap I made for the Saturn project.

Fred
 
http://fred-hemker.blogspot.com/2008/02/spark-plug-tap.html is the link.
 
Just wanted to say
Happy birthday to you,
happy birthday to you,
happy birthday dear fred,
happy birthday to you!
Hope your having a great day.

ABC Girls
(Liz Aronson, Donna Bendickson, Jennifer Crest)
 
Hope your birthday was a good one! Enjoy the festivities this weekend!
 
P.S. I think you owe me! :-)
 
Hi Fred,

Happy, Happy Birthday!!!

I am in Vietnam and will fly back to Bangkok before noon today. Ed is in Manila for a family reunion. We will meet each other in Bangkok on Thursday and fly back to the US on Saturday.

We should have talked to you when our deck umbrella broke two years ago. I liked that one but we ended up throwing it. I am pretty sure you would have fixed it.

Alicia
 
Happy Belated Birthday Fred......I bet you never get tired of hearing that.

I kinda like John's idea about shooting a hole into the foam blocks maybe like using a sharpened tube
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?