Sunday, January 27, 2008

 

Weekend Projects

In a long sad story, the check engine light came on in my Blazer. I took it to the dealer and for $68 they told me that the thermostat was defective and had to be replaced for $309 and that they would flush the cooling system at the same time for $149 for a grand total of $458 and change. I said, "You must be replacing the sensor along with the thermostat." They said, "Oh no the sensor checked out OK."

A short trip to AutoZone and $7 for the part, no gasket required, and it is fixed. It turns out that AutoZone will read the codes for free. The most pleasant surprise was that it really was the thermostat and it is fixed!

Other News

My friend, Liz had a 1995 Saturn with 230,000 miles that died suddenly. Last Tuesday (I cook dinner for us on Tuesday) Liz and I went to see a car at the dealer and it was perfect. The right color, low mileage, and the salesperson started dealing even before we asked. I said, "Liz, you can't buy the first car we see even if it is perfect." On Saturday we went car shopping again and we looked at two other cars and decided that the original car was the one but when we called it had already been sold. The blue one she is standing beside was also very nice but she didn't feel it was time to compromise. She is driving my Astro.

On the way home we stopped and visited with our friend Joanne.

We will see what I make for dinner this week, maybe crow.


Comments:
There's always another deal.
 
on some applications you have to "reprogram" the computer after you replace the part. I don't know if you have to do it in this instance tho

walter
 
Hello Walter,
You are indeed correct. The AutoZone guy told me to disconnect the battery and the computer would reset. I ended up having to leave it disconnected for about an hour while I did the dishes and washed some clothes before it would reset, but I could see on the temperature gauge that the engine was running about 15 degrees hotter with the new thermostat. It is also producing more heat in the cabin which is a good thing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?